Introducing...
The Whizbang Un-Bungee Cord
(A Useful Homestead Tool)

Dateline: 25 March 2017

A Whizbang Un-Bungee Cord


I'm old enough to remember what life was like before stretchy, hook-ended bungee cords were invented. Back in those days, people used rope to tie things down.

My introduction to rope for tying things down goes back to when I was a kid and accompanied my stepfather to the local dump on weekends. We went to dispose of our household trash but would spend some time ranging over the landfill, looking for good things that other people had thrown out. We almost always brought home something, and it was often too big to fit in the trunk of the car. So, out came the wooden roof racks with big suction cups, and lengths of rope. 

As a Cub Scout and Boy Scout I had a particular fascination with rope and knots. I taught myself to whip rope ends, splice rope, and tie various knots. 

Thus, my love of rope (string and twine of all kinds too) goes back many years, and when I first saw bungee cords I found them kind of offensive. Nevertheless, I bought and used them. Then, a couple years ago, I came up with the idea of Un-Bungee cords, just like you see in the picture above.

I bought an inexpensive 50-foot length of braided nylon rope, cut it into 5-foot sections, whipped the ends with waxed leather-stitching thread, melted the frayed fibers beyond the whipping, and tied a loop on one end. That is how the Un-Bungee cord was "invented"

My Un-Bungee cords proved to be incredibly useful for all kinds of small tie-down purposes. Being short, they don't get themselves into a frustrating tangle. They can be tied together when a longer length is needed. They're just downright handy.

I keep some Un-Bungee cords in my truck. I keep a couple in the tool box on my little tractor. I have several hanging (by their loop) on a nail just inside the door of my workshop.

If you live a busy homestead lifestyle, make yourself a bunch of these Un-Bungee cords. Anywhere between 5-foot and 6-foot is a good size. You will find all kinds of ways to put them to work.


A simple example of how an Un-Bungee cord can be used.



4 comments:

  1. Well now that is a good looking rig. I used to make mine out of the braided nylon line also but they kept disappearing as fast as I could make 'em. So I resorted to the poor excuse for clothesline that you get from the store. Amazing how long they last, 'cause no-one wants those things!

    Just wondering, do you know how to tie a bowline knot? Probably do as you were a Scout. That is what I have on all my tie down lines. I use them after I roll up a tarp to keep it tight, bundles of stakes, just about every thing that needs securing.

    When you come down, ahem ahem, I'll show you a neat little trick with a bowline loop and a half hitch.
    Best Regards, Everett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a friend who told me that he has had the same braided clothesline for 30 years. Whatever it was made of, it has lasted a remarkably long time. I don't think modern clothesline lasts as long. But I'll bet that Un-Bungee cords made out of clothesline would be as useful as any other material.

      Yes, I learned the bowline in BoyScouts. As I recall, it would come in handy for pulling a person up and out of a place of danger.

      When I worked at New Hope Mills as a kid, I learned to tie the millers knot, which is, if I recall correctly, like a clove hitch. I tied that knot for hours on end some days.

      Okay.... I'm looking forward to learning a new knot trick.

      Delete
  2. I use a variation with climbing webbing and carabiners. The webbing has a knotted loop in each end and a carabiner is used to fasten one end to a rack or something solid. the other end can be connected to a section of rope that is tied tight. The 3' sections of webbing acts as a lengthener for the rope. I like the simplicity of your version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steve,

      Thanks for the comment. I love carabiners.

      Delete